As part of Azusa Light & Water’s (ALW) continuing efforts to improve utility services to its customers, ALW has embarked on a project to modernize the method by which water and electric usage is measured. The project includes replacing all water and electric meters with new, Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), meters that will be read remotely instead of having to send someone to homes or business each month to read the meter(s). This will great improve operational efficiency, facilitate access to hard-to-read locations, eliminate dog or other animal upsets, and provide customers with additional information regarding their water and electric usage patterns.
ALW has partnered with industry certified and approved technicians at Utility Partners of America (UPA) to change-out the existing meter(s) with AMI meters. ALW staff will leave a reminder door hanger at customer’s property at least two weeks prior to the change-out.
What to Expect During the Process
• A typical residential meter change out takes about 5-10 minutes to complete.
• Customer does not need to be present for the process, but power will be temporarily interrupted. If the water meter is replaced, the customer may experience air in water lines or discolored water temporarily until the lines are cleared.
• On the day of meter replacement, UPA technicians (who will have a valid UPA picture ID) will arrive between 8:00 AM and 5:30 PM to do the work.
• When we complete the meter replacement, the installer will verify that the new meter is working properly.
• The installer will leave behind a door hanger, describing the type of work done.
• If there are access issues to replace a customer’s meter and the customer is not present, the technician will leave a door hanger with information on how to schedule the meter replacement.
To learn more please visit https://www.ci.azusa.ca.us/1653/Utility-Modernization-Project, call the AMI Information Hotline at (626) 812-5116, or call Customer Service at (626) 812-5225.
Door Hanger Pre-Installation
Door Hanger Post-Installation